Charles H.
Photo courtesy : University of Toronto

Donnelly Centre for Cellular & Biomolecular Research www.tdccbr.med.utoronto.ca/

The Foundation honours the memory of one of the discoverers of insulin at the University of Toronto in 1921.

 

The Charles H. Best Foundation was initiated in 1960 by the Province of Ontario with funds in the form of Weston shares from the W. Garfield Weston Foundation. Its original purpose was as a research fund for the discretionary use of Charles Best himself. Following his death the fund was placed under the direction of a Board of Members and Directors and was designated for general research support exclusively in the Banting and Best Department of Medical Research (BBDMR) at the University of Toronto. Subsequently the Faculty of Medicine lodged all BBDMR activities, including the disbursement from the Best Foundation, in the new Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research. The designated use of the funds has come to be focussed on support of postdoctoral fellows in the Centre, an area of need that is difficult to meet from other sources.
In fulfillment of its charitable purposes, the Foundation supports Dr. Charles H. Best Postdoctoral Fellows in Donnelly Centre. Fellows are selected in an annual competition, advertised in leading international scientific journals, which attracts a very high caliber of international candidates. Dossiers are reviewed and ranked by a Selection Committee comprised of senior Donnelly Centre professors and successful applicant(s) are offered Dr. Charles H. Best Fellowships. Fellows are attracted from all over the world and upon completion of their research at Donnelly Centre have taken up scientific careers in many locations.